Dr Sam Perlo-Freeman
Citizenship: United Kingdom / United States
Position at SIPRI: Senior Researcher, Arms and Military Expenditure Programme
Subject expertise: Military expenditure issues and methodology; arms production issues and methodology; economics of military expenditure; economics of arms trade; arms trade corruption.
Regional expertise: Europe, Israel/Palestine
Languages: English, French, Swedish
Education: PhD in Economics, University of the West of England. PhD In Mathematics, University of Warwick.
Contact: Email; Phone: +46 766 286 176
Dr Sam Perlo-Freeman is Senior researcher and Head of the SIPRI Project on Military Expenditure in the Arms and Military Expenditure Programme. He is responsible for monitoring data on military expenditure worldwide. Previously he was a Senior Lecturer at the University of the West of England, working in the field of defense and peace economics.
- Arms and Military Expenditure Programme
- Security, Democratization and Good Governance in Africa: the Impact of External Actors Project
- Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in Economics, University of the West of England, Bristol, 2003-2007
- Research Assistant, SIPRI Military Expenditure Project, 2002–2003
- Economists for Peace and Security, Member.
- Economics of Peace and Security, Editorial Board Member.
- Perlo-Freeman, S. 'Military expenditure and the global culture of militarism', Chapter 11 in Kassimeris, C. & Gouliamos, K. (Eds), The marketing of war in the age of neo-militarism, London: Routledge, 2012.
- Perlo-Freeman, S and Brauner, J, 'Natural resources and military expenditure: the case of Algeria', Economics of Peace and Security Journal, vol. 7, no. 1 (2012).
- Perlo-Freeman, S, 'Budgetary priorities in Latin America: military, health and education spending', SIPRI Insights on Peace and Security, no. 2011/11.
- Perlo-Freeman, S., ‘The UK arms industry in a globalised world’, in A. Tan (Edt), The Global Arms Trade: A Handbook, London: Routledge, 2010.
- Perlo-Freeman, S. and Webber, D., ‘Basic needs, government debt and economic growth’, The World Economy, vol. 32, no. 6 (June 2009).
- Perlo-Freeman, S. et al., ‘Military expenditure’, SIPRI Yearbook 2009 (Oxford University Press, 2009).
- Perlo-Freeman, S., ‘Arms production’, SIPRI Yearbook 2009.
- Dunne, P., Perlo-Freeman, S. and Smith, R., ‘The demand for military expenditure in developing countries: hostility versus capability’, Defence & Peace Economics, vol. 19, no. 4 (Aug. 2008).
- Perlo-Freeman, S., and Sköns, E., ‘The private military services industry’, SIPRI Insights on Peace and Security no. 2008/01.