Dr Sam Perlo-Freeman
Citizenship: United Kingdom / United States
Position at SIPRI: Programme Director, Military Expenditure and Arms Production
Subject expertise: Military expenditure issues and methodology; arms production issues and methodology; economics of military expenditure; economics of arms trade; arms trade corruption.
Regional expertise: Europe, Israel/Palestine
Languages: English, French, Swedish
Education: PhD in Economics, University of the West of England. PhD In Mathematics, University of Warwick.
Contact: Email; Phone: +46 8 655 97 37
Dr Sam Perlo-Freeman is Director of the SIPRI Programme on Military Expenditure and Arms Production. He is responsible for monitoring data on military expenditure worldwide. Previously he was a Senior Lecturer at the University of the West of England, working in the field of defense and peace economics.
- SIPRI Military Expenditure Project
- Security, Democratization and Good Governance in Africa: the Impact of External Actors Project
- Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in Economics, University of the West of England, Bristol, 2003-2007
- Research Assistant, SIPRI Military Expenditure Project, 2002–2003
- Economists for Peace and Security, Member.
- Economics of Peace and Security, Editorial Board Member.
- Perlo-Freeman, S. 'Military expenditure and the global culture of militarism', Chapter 11 in Kassimeris, C. & Gouliamos, K. (Eds), The marketing of war in the age of neo-militarism, London: Routledge, 2012.
- Perlo-Freeman, S and Brauner, J, 'Natural resources and military expenditure: the case of Algeria', Economics of Peace and Security Journal, vol. 7, no. 1 (2012).
- Perlo-Freeman, S, 'Budgetary priorities in Latin America: military, health and education spending', SIPRI Insights on Peace and Security, no. 2011/11.
- Perlo-Freeman, S., ‘The UK arms industry in a globalised world’, in A. Tan (Edt), The Global Arms Trade: A Handbook, London: Routledge, 2010.
- Perlo-Freeman, S. and Webber, D., ‘Basic needs, government debt and economic growth’, The World Economy, vol. 32, no. 6 (June 2009).
- Perlo-Freeman, S. et al., ‘Military expenditure’, SIPRI Yearbook 2009 (Oxford University Press, 2009).
- Perlo-Freeman, S., ‘Arms production’, SIPRI Yearbook 2009.
- Dunne, P., Perlo-Freeman, S. and Smith, R., ‘The demand for military expenditure in developing countries: hostility versus capability’, Defence & Peace Economics, vol. 19, no. 4 (Aug. 2008).
- Perlo-Freeman, S., and Sköns, E., ‘The private military services industry’, SIPRI Insights on Peace and Security no. 2008/01.