Position at SIPRI: Senior Researcher, Dual-use and Arms Trade Control Programme
Subject expertise: Strategic trade controls and their enforcement, proliferation finance, non-proliferation initiatives, Middle East politics and military affairs
Regional expertise: Iran, GCC, wider Middle East Education: Certificate in Persian, University of Tehran, Institute for Persian Studies, Iran; MA Area Studies (Near and Middle East), School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK; BSC. (Hons.) Economics and Sociology, University of Surrey, UK.
Contact: Email Phone: +46 (0) 8 655 9749
Aaron Dunne was until recently Head of Counter-Proliferation in HM Revenue and Customs, UK. Having lead a significant enhancement to the UK’s strategic trade controls he has joined SIPRI to undertake research on the enforcement of strategic trade controls and associated multilateral initiatives. He contributes to the EU programme “EU cooperation on export control of dual-use goods” as Regional Project Manager for the United Arab Emirates and Senior Customs Advisor for Malaysia and Thailand.
- Strategic trade control outreach and capacity building EU programme "EU Cooperation in Dual-Use Export Control"
- Research into the role of customs in the enforcement of strategic trade controls
- Research into multi-lateral initiatives to counter the proliferation of WMD and their means of delivery
- Head of Counter-Proliferation, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), UK
- Private Secretary to the Director General, HMRC, UK
- Defence and security consultant
- Teaching Assistant, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London, UK
- Research Analyst - Iran and the GCC, Ministry of Defence, UK
- Dunne, A., ‘Strategic trade controls in the United Arab Emirates: key considerations for the European Union’, EU Non-proliferation Consortium, Non-Proliferation paper no. 12 (March 2012)
- Dunne, A., ‘Graphic and artistic political expression in contemporary Iran’, Folia Orientalia (Polska Akademia Nauk, Krakow), vol. 40 (2005)
- Dunne, A., ‘Dealing with Iran’, RUSI Newsbrief, vol. 23, no. 12 (July 2003)