The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) is seeking a Senior Researcher and Programme Director for its Arms and Military Expenditure (AMEX) programme. The SIPRI AMEX programme is a part of SIPRI’s Armament and Disarmament research area. The programme collects data, maintains SIPRI’s renowned databases in the field and conducts research related to these.
SIPRI is an independent international institute whose core mission is to undertake research and activities on security, conflict and peace. Established in 1966, SIPRI provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to policymakers, researchers, media and the interested public. SIPRI provides excellent opportunities for scientific and personal development. SIPRI is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The successful candidate will manage and develop the SIPRI AMEX programme by generating knowledge about arms production, arms transfers and military expenditure. They will oversee the SIPRI Arms Transfers Database, the SIPRI Arms Industry Database and the SIPRI Military Expenditure Database. The candidate will also conduct cutting-edge research on related topics, and disseminate research analysis, findings and recommendations in a variety of forms to SIPRI’s diverse audiences.
The main areas of responsibility are the following:
- Ensure overall SIPRI AMEX programme design and strategy including the research direction, budget, fundraising strategy, staffing targets and outreach;
- Develop and implement externally funded projects that support the goals and objectives of the SIPRI AMEX programme;
- Ensure the SIPRI AMEX programme strategy is implemented, including its adequate resourcing;
- Manage and mentor staff in line with the SIPRI AMEX programme’s strategy and SIPRI policy;
- Maintain a steady pace of high-quality publications and other forms of outreach;
- Disseminate research results in a variety of ways;
- Foster a positive team spirit and create an engaging work environment;
- Be productive in a variety of ways—by writing regularly, through seminar presentations and panel discussions, and by being available for interviews whether to the news media or through social media.
The Senior Researcher and Programme Director should be a world-class researcher on the arms industry, arms transfer and/or military expenditure issues, possess a strong track record of publications and maintain a high performance as a fundraiser. They should have the ability to respect deadlines and work within budgets. The post also requires a talent for communication and collaboration combined with the ability to manage staff. Further qualities are intellectual curiosity and an entrepreneurial spirit that can transform initial ideas into fully fledged research projects.
The successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- A university degree or degrees, in disciplines and topics relevant to this post, at a Master’s or Doctoral level, or publications to a Doctoral degree standard;
- Oral and written proficiency in English;
- Additional languages are highly desirable.
The position is based in Stockholm and requires willingness and availability to travel for the purposes of, inter alia, research, fundraising and disseminating research findings.
Starting from 1 January 2020. The appointment will initially be for two years, renewable. The post is full-time and the successful applicant will be expected to reside in Stockholm. The salary package will be negotiated individually.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit:
- A one-page cover letter in English, detailing your qualifications and interests in the subject area;
- A full CV in English with information about your educational background, relevant experience, skills, acquisition record, major publications;
- Two writing samples (article, book chapter or substantial piece of writing up to 8 000 words).
Applications should be sent via email to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Recruitment for this position is ongoing. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information about the SIPRI AMEX programme or enquiries regarding the vacant position, please contact Dr Sibylle Bauer, Director of Studies, Armament and disarmament (firstname.lastname@example.org).