The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) is seeking a talented and motivated Research Assistant (RA) to support the design and implementation of research and activities for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) programme. The MENA programme will undertake analysis of key developments in conflict, peace and security in the region.
SIPRI is especially interested in candidates with work experience in or on the MENA region or a specific country. Further, thematic knowledge in the field of conflict, peace and security in relation to the MENA region would be considered a useful asset.
SIPRI is an independent international institute whose core mission is to undertake research and activities on security, conflict and peace. Established in 1966, SIPRI provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to policymakers, researchers, media and the interested public. SIPRI provides excellent opportunities for scientific and personal development. SIPRI is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The RA is responsible for supporting a range of research tasks, including the following:
- Contribute to establishing the SIPRI MENA programme and assisting with creating its research agenda;
- Support the SIPRI MENA programme’s publications and outreach activities;
- Build networks with policymakers, the media and the wider research community;
- Assist in communicating research findings widely and effectively by producing shorter written outputs, giving interviews, and if required, presenting research at meetings and through social media;
- Support researchers, senior researchers, the Director of Studies and the programme coordinator in developing the programme;
- Network—if and when required—with donors, policymakers and the media to disseminate relevant research and policy findings; and
- Take part in the collective life of the Institute.
The successful candidate will possess the following experience and skills:
- A Master’s degree or be in the process of obtaining a Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. International Relations, Peace and Conflict Studies, Political Science, Social Sciences);
- Excellent writing and communication skills in both English and Arabic;
- Experience (through studies or work) in conducting qualitative research.
While not essential, desirable experience and skills include:
- Experience of working in the MENA region;
- Knowledge of the main international and regional organizations working in the MENA region;
- Knowledge of other relevant languages such as French.
Starting 1 September 2019, or as soon as possible thereafter. The appointment will be for two years initially. The post is full-time and the successful applicant will be expected to reside in Stockholm. The post may involve occasional travel. The salary package will be negotiated individually.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit:
- A one-page cover letter in English;
- A CV (maximum 2 pages, including the names and contact information of one or two referees);
- A writing sample from a previous place of work or study.
Applications should be sent via email to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The closing date for applications is 4 August 2019.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information about the vacant position, please contact Luc van de Goor, Director of Studies, Conflict and peace (firstname.lastname@example.org).