The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) is an independent international institute whose core mission is to undertake research and activities on security, conflict and peace. Established in 1966, SIPRI provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to policymakers, researchers, media and the interested public. SIPRI provides excellent opportunities for scientific and personal development. SIPRI is an equal opportunity employer.
SIPRI seeks a Research Assistant to work as part of the team working on emerging technologies and strategic stability. With its long history of leading research in the field of armament and disarmament, SIPRI is developing a new research strand on emerging technologies—including, but not limited to, artificial intelligence, robotics, autonomous technologies, human-enhancement technologies, cyber-warfare and cyber-surveillance technologies. SIPRI is looking into exploring the implications of emerging technologies on armament, arms control and disarmament as well as armed conflicts, peace and security.
Research assistant description
The successful candidate will provide research and administrative support. S/he has a strong research profile, an entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrated interest and knowledge in policy issues related to new military and security technologies. S/he has the ability to work independently.
- A university degree or degrees, in disciplines and topics relevant to this post, at Bachelor’s or Master’s level, in such areas as International Relations, Strategic and War Studies, Peace and Conflict Studies;
- Knowledge of the debates on strategic stability and nuclear risk;
- Knowledge of the debates on artificial intelligence and robotics;
- Experience with data collection and analysis;
- Strong written and oral communication skills; and
- Fluency in English.
The following is desirable, but not required:
- Fluency in Russian or Korean; and
- Background in computer science, robotics and/or artificial intelligence
SIPRI is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
The appointment will initially be for two years and is renewable, subject to funding and performance. The salary package will be negotiated individually.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
How to apply
To apply, send a short cover letter, your CV (including a list of publications), two writing samples, and the names of two potential referees to RAemergingtech@SIPRI.org. Please indicate your preferred start date in the cover letter.
The initial closing date is 22 October. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.