SIPRI is recruiting an experienced in-house editor to join its editorial and publications team.
SIPRI produces authoritative, globally recognized publications on topics related to armaments, disarmament and international security. This work is of varying complexity and length, for a range of audiences and publication platforms.
As a SIPRI editor, you will be responsible for managing and implementing the full spectrum of editorial and production tasks (substantive editing, fact-checking, copy-editing, proofreading, typesetting and layout) to a high standard, using the SIPRI Style Guide, under deadline, for print and online publication. You will play a key role in ensuring quality of content (style, grammar, tone, accuracy) and of the final product (the look and feel of the finished piece).
This position combines strong technical, editorial and project management skills. The right candidate will be able to, among other things, gracefully toggle and balance the macro and micro (in both texts and tasks). Operationally, this means being able to thoughtfully engage with the authors, ideas and texts associated with SIPRI research as well as having the fortitude to meticulously check and format extensive footnotes and the skill to deftly use hyphens and dashes.
Required skills and experience
- English as a native language
- 4 years of experience as an editor, ideally for professional, official or academic readerships
- Excellent editing, writing and analytical abilities with sensitivity to nuance and the ability to spot errors and inconsistencies
- Strong organizational and project-management skills, with the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and to maintain deadlines under time pressure
- Knowledge of publishing and layout software, including, but not limited to, Word and InDesign
- Experience researching and verifying facts in databases, in libraries and on the internet
- Solid computer skills, ideally in a Mac environment
Desired skills and experience
- A good eye for the design of printed and online materials
- Facility with data sets and numbers
- Familiarity with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Knowledge of HTML, content-management systems and web-based publishing
- A degree, preferably in political science, international relations, English language, journalism or a natural science
- An interest in SIPRI’s areas of research
- Working knowledge of other languages
The contract starts as soon as possible. The contract will run for two years initially and may be renewable. The post is based in Solna and is full-time. The salary package will be negotiated individually.
How to apply
To apply, qualified candidates should submit a CV, samples of recent relevant work and a one-page covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial closing date: Friday, 16 August 2019
Applications will be considered until the post is filled.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please note that this is not a research, copywriting or journalism position. Only experienced editors will be considered for the position.
All relevant materials should be sent as PDFs; other materials will not be considered.
For more information, contact
Stockholm International Peace Research Institute
SIPRI is an independent international institute dedicated to research into conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmament. Established in 1966, SIPRI provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to policymakers, researchers, media and the interested public.
Information on SIPRI’s publications is available at http://www.sipri.org/publications/