Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) is recruiting a communications professional to join its communications team.
Established in 1966, SIPRI is consistently ranked as one of the world's top think tanks. The institute is dedicated to independent research into peace, conflict and security and is known worldwide for its flagship publication, the SIPRI Yearbook, and its databases. SIPRI is based in Stockholm, and has well-established, on-the-ground partnerships and operational networks across the globe. The staff of SIPRI is international and the working language is English.
You will be responsible for the content on SIPRI’s website and output on SIPRI’s dissemination systems, working closely with SIPRI’s international researchers on conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmament. You join a dedicated team and you are passionate about bridging complex context and a variety of different audiences.
Your key responsibilities include
- Planning, drafting, developing, and checking SIPRI communications content (i.e. website content, press releases, articles, commentaries, targeted mailings, film pitches and more)
- Producing the monthly SIPRI Update (newsletter)
- Managing SIPRI’s targeted mailings and related contact lists
- Managing film production as part of the various SIPRI film series (Spotlight, Reflection, Searchlight, PeacePoints) with other team members and in cooperation with SIPRI’s external film consultant
- Participating and contributing to SIPRI’s strategic communications plan
Required skills and experience
- English as a native language
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- 2–5 years’ experience as an online editor or similar role for official, professional or academic readerships
- Knowledge of HTML, mailing systems, film editing software and web-based publishing
- Ability to undertake basic research and fact-checking using a variety of sources (such as databases, libraries and the internet) and to think strategically about the full scope of communications output
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Ability to write creatively, observe detail and tailor writing style to reflect the audience; to cooperate professionally with authors and colleagues; and to maintain deadlines under pressure
As a person you are modest, adaptable, motivated and have a strong focus on the audience perspective in all your output.
Desired skills and experience
- A university degree, preferably in political science, international relations, English language, journalism, or a natural science
- Experience in video production
- Experience in working with style guides
- Demonstrable interest in SIPRI’s research areas
- Knowledge of Swedish, French, Spanish, German, Russian or Arabic is an advantage
The post is a full-time tenure position with a six-month probation period.
How to apply
To apply, qualified candidates should submit a CV, samples and links to recent relevant work and a one-page covering letter to email@example.com.
The initial closing date: 16 August 2019. Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.