Pieter D. Wezeman
Position at SIPRI: Senior Researcher, SIPRI Arms Transfer Programme
Subject expertise: Arms flows to and arms procurement in India, Pakistan, China, Africa and the Middle East; global developments in arms transfers; proliferation of missiles and other long range strike systems in the Middle East and South Asia; arms embargoes.
Regional expertise: Middle East and North Africa, South Asia and China.
Languages: Dutch, English, German, Swedish
Education: MA in political science, University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Contact: Email Phone: +46 8 655 97 40
Pieter D. Wezeman is a Senior Researcher with the SIPRI Arms Transfers Programme. His area of research is the global proliferation of conventional arms with a special focus on arms procurement in and arms transfers to China, India, Pakistan and the Middle East and North Africa. He also participates in the SIPRI project on 'Emerging Military Technologies and the Implications for Strategic Stability in the Twenty-First Century.'
- SIPRI Arms Transfers Programme
- SIPRI Project on Emerging Military Technologies and the Implications for Strategic Stability in the Twenty-First Century
- Senior analyst in the field of arms proliferation at the Dutch Ministry of Defence
- Wezeman, P.D., Wezeman S.T. and Béraud-Sudreau, L., 'Arms Flows to sub-Saharan Africa', SIPRI Policy Paper no. 30, December 2011
- Wezeman, P.D., 'Conventional strategic military capabilities in the Middle East', EU Non-Proliferation Consortium 6 July 2011
- Gill, B., and Wezeman, P.D., 'Halte au cynicisme! Il faut un commerce des armes plus responsable' [Stop the cynicism! We need a more responsible arms trade], Le Monde, 20 April 2011
- Holtom, P., and Wezeman, P.D., 'Arms exports to Sudan', Written evidence submitted for The House of Lords’ EU Sub-Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Development Policy inquiry into the European Union’s Conflict Prevention Role in Sudan, March 2011
- Wezeman, P.D., 'South African arms supplies to sub-Saharan Africa', SIPRI Background Paper, January 2011
- Wezeman, P.D., 'Arms Flows and the Conflict in Somalia', SIPRI Background Paper, October 2010
- Solmirano, C. and Wezeman, P.D., 'Military spending and arms procurement in the Gulf states', SIPRI Fact Sheet, October 2010
- Wezeman, P.D., ‘Arms Flows to the Conflict in Chad’, SIPRI Background Paper, Aug. 2009
- Wezeman, P.D., ‘Arms transfers to Central, North and West Africa’, SIPRI Background Paper, April 2009
- Wezeman P.D., ’Arms transfers to East and Southern Africa’, SIPRI Background Paper, June 2009
- Contributions to the SIPRI Yearbook: Armaments, Disarmaments and International Security (Oxford University Press) since 1995