Position at SIPRI: Research Assistant
Arms control; Arms embargoes; International security; Military Expenditure Reporting UN-system
Regional expertise: Ireland, global
Languages: English, Swedish
Education: BA(Hons.) History and Politics, Goldsmiths College, University of London, MSc History of International Relations, London School of Economics (LSE)
Contact: Email Phone: +46 8 655 97 34
Noel Kelly currently works as a Research Assistant for the International Arms Transfers Programme, Military Expenditure and Arms Production Programme at SIPRI. Noel is the current web editor for these Programmes and is responsible for helping maintain several databases (see current activities) including the common electronic research archive. Noel is also responsible for distributing the annual SIPRI military expenditure questionnaire and reporting the findings of the UN reporting system in SIPRI Yearbook.
- Research Assistant, International Arms Transfers Programme
- Assisting Arms transfers Programme team in maintaining the Arms transfers Database
- Assisting in finding and researching National Reports and maintaining the SIPRI National Reports Database
- Assisting Pieter Wezeman with his work on arms embargos (Publication arms embargoes report in YB). Maintaining the SIPRI Arms Embargoes Database.
- Research Assistant, Military Expenditure Programme
- Assisting Milex Programme in maintaining the SIPRI Military Expenditure Database
- Annual send-out of the SIPRI milex questionnaire and compiling the data for use in
the SIPRI YB Milex chapter. Compiling of national reports from the UN reporting
system on military expenditure and reporting the information in the YB Milex
- Noel Kelly joined SIPRI in October 2007 working as an intern for the Armed Conflict and Conflict Management Programme.
- Noel Kelly had previously worked in the private sector and has lived and worked in Ireland, Sweden and the UK.
- 'Appendix 4A. Military expenditure data, 2001-10', Sam Perlo-Freeman, Olawale Ismail, Noel Kelly, Elisabeth Sköns and Carina Solmirano, SIPRI Yearbook, 2011.
- 'Appendix 4B. The reporting of military expenditure data, 2001-10', Noel Kelly, SIPRI Yearbook, 2011.
- 'Appendix 11A. Multilateral arms embargoes, 2010', Pieter Wezeman and Noel Kelly, SIPRI Yearbook, 2011.
- 'Appendix 5A. Military expenditure data, 2000-2009', Sam Perlo-Freeman, Olawale Ismail, Noel Kelly, Elisabeth Sköns and Carina Solmirano, SIPRI Yearbook, 2010.
- 'Appendix 5B. The reporting of military expenditure data', Noel Kelly, SIPRI Yearbook, 2010.
- 'Appendix 12A. Multilateral arms embargoes, 2009', Pieter Wezeman and Noel Kelly, SIPRI Yearbook, 2010.
- 'Appendix 5A. Military expenditure data, 1999-2008', Petter Stålenheim, Noel Kelly, Catalina Perdomo, Sam Perlo-Freeman and Elisabeth Sköns, SIPRI yearbook, 2009.
- 'Appendix 5C. The reporting of military expenditure data', Catalina Perdomo and Noel Kelly, SIPRI yearbook, 2009
- 'Appendix 7C. Transparency in arms transfer', Mark Bromley and Noel Kelly, SIPRI yearbook, 2009.
- 'Appendix 12A. Multilateral arms embargoes', Paul Holtom and Noel Kelly, SIPRI yearbook, 2009.