SIPRI in the media
A monthly selection of news articles, commentaries, podcasts and interviews featuring SIPRI experts.
- The launch of SIPRI's nuclear forces data for 2014 was featured in over 600 media outlets.
- The new SIPRI Policy Paper by Mathieu Duchâtel, Oliver Bräuner and Zhou Hang on China's non-interference policy was featured in articles in BBC News and Deutsche Welle (both in Chinese).
- Neil Melvin wrote an op-ed on the militarization of Eurasia which was published on Opendemocracy.net.
- Pieter Wezeman was quoted on European arms deliveries to Ukraine in the Independent. He also discussed the new German arms exports report in a podcast for Monocle (audio, from 18.30 onwards).
- Siemon Wezeman discussed Australian arms imports in a major feature in the Sydney Morning Herald.
- Aude Fleurant was quoted in an article on the removal of Canadian Government defence documents from the Internet in Le Devoir (in French).
- The SIPRI Essay for May 2014 by Yudit Kiss on the transformation of the East Central Europe's defence industries was translated into Spanish and republished in EuroXpress.
- Mark Bromley was quoted in a Deutsche Welle article on the Arms Trade Treaty.
- Tariq Rauf was quoted in a Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) article discussing the recent talks on a zone free of weapons of mass destruction in the Middle East.
- Tariq Rauf was quoted by Reuters and Bloomberg on . He was also quoted in an NPR story (audio) on the same subject.
- Siemon Wezeman commented on Russian weapons systems in an article in Bild, and was also quoted in an article on arms supplies to Africa in The East African.
- Neil Melvin commented on the crisis in Ukraine in the Swedish news magazine Fokus.
- Mathieu Duchâtel was quoted by Al Jazeera on sanctions against North Korea.
- Tilman Brück discussed the costs of war and NATO on Swiss Radio (audio).
- Sam Perlo Freeman was quoted in a PressTV news clip about Syria's chemical weapons (video).
- The launch of SIPRI's data on world military expenditure was covered in more than 1600 international media outlets, with significant coverage from Al Jazeera, the Tagesschau (Germany), Deutsche Welle's Agenda, The Washington Post, Le Monde, The Economist and many more.
- SIPRI's military expenditure data launch event in New York was covered by Iranian Press TV.
- Siemon Wezeman was interviewed by Central China TV about US arms sales to Asia.
- Oliver Bräuner was interviewed by Czech newspaper Lidové noviny about United States President Barack Obama's recent visit to Asia and the impact of the visit on China–US relations.
- Mathieu Duchâtel appeared in a segment by Dutch television channel NOS on the Dutch defence minister's visit to China.
- Jaïr van der Lijn gave an interview to the German ipg-journal on the risks of peace operations abroad. He was also interviewed by Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant about United Nations peace operations in Africa.
- Neil Melvin spoke to Business New Europe from Georgia about Georgia's foreign relations.
- Ian Anthony was quoted in a Reuters piece on NATO's role in northern Europe.