SIPRI in the media
A monthly selection of news articles, commentaries, podcasts and interviews featuring SIPRI experts.
- SIPRI Director Dan Smith spoke to, among others, the Norwegian news agency NRK in connection to the announcement of the Nobel Peace Prize. SIPRI Deputy Director Jakob Hallgren spoke to the Swedish news agency TT on the same topic.
- Dan Smith also gave an interview with Reuters on the potential link between conflict and climate change. The interview was picked up by Euronews and TeleSur among others. Swedish Radio also covered the story.
- SIPRI Researcher Richard Ghiasy spoke to the Financial Times on the recent developments in Kundus, Afghanistan.
- SIPRI Senior Researcher Pieter Wezeman commented to The Express Tribune on China’s role in helping Pakistan to acquire armed drones.
- SIPRI Programme Director Tariq Rauf published an article on the International Atomic Energy Agency’s Nuclear Fuel Bank with the Arms Control Association. He also gave an interview with Kazakh television on the same issue.
- SIPRI Researcher Ekaterina Klimenko published an opinion article on Russia’s military build-up in the Arctic with the World Policy blog.
Neil Melvin comments on a scenario of a Russian intervention in the Baltics to Deutsche Welle.
- Aude Fleurant spoke to Pressenza Agency on the militarization of Europe.
- Pieter Wezeman spoke to International Business Times on US military relations with Saudi Arabia. He also discussed the potential gains for private defence contractors resulting from the European migrant crisis with Fortune magazine.
- Mathieu Duchâtel, Siemon Wezeman and Sam Perlo-Freeman commented on China’s military parade to a number of publications, including Le Monde, the BBC, and the German paper BILD, the Asialyst, Deutsche Welle and to the Swedish Television station SVT.
- Mathieu Duchâtel also addressed the Islamic State’s kidnapping of a Chinese national with the Financial Times and the Sydney Morning Herald.
- Tariq Rauf commented on the Iran inspections at Parchin for CNN. He also addressed the US nuclear budget with Al Jazeera and discussed the vulnerability of the world’s nuclear facilities to cyber attack with Inter Press Service.
- Pieter Wezeman commented on arms supplies to Nigeria for Radio France International. He also discussed Iran's plans to buy Russian missiles with Reuters.
- Shannon Kile was quoted in Svenska Dagbladet on world nuclear forces 70 years after Hiroshima.