SIPRI in the media
A monthly selection of news articles, commentaries, podcasts and interviews featuring SIPRI experts.
- SIPRI Director Ian Anthony commented on the Russian–US Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty for PenzaNews.
- Zhou Hang wrote an opinion piece for African Arguments on relations between China and South Sudan and Sudan.
- Oliver Bräuner wrote an opinion piece in Review 2014 (in German) on the potential role of European countries, and in particular Germany, in East Asian maritime security. A second article, on arms transfers to maritime South East Asia, appeared in Aus Politik und Zeitgeschichte.
- Sam Perlo-Freeman was quoted in the Independent based on his interview in the New York Times regarding the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit and the impact of the conflict in Ukraine on military spending.
- Siemon Wezeman's comments to Reuters on Viet Nam's submarine programme were picked up by CNBC, Euronews, the Economic Times and others.
- Aude Fleurant discussed the France–Russia Mistral deal in Ria Novosti and the Voice of Russia.
- Neil Melvin was quoted on the NATO summit in Bloomberg.
- Pieter Wezeman discussed Swedish technology exports to China on Swedish Radio.
- Tariq Rauf was quoted in a Bloomberg article on the investigation into the possible military dimensions of Iran's nuclear programme.
- Tariq Rauf and Robert E. Kelley wrote an opinion piece for Arms Control Today on nuclear verification in Iran.
- Pieter Wezeman spoke to France24 about arms transfers to Israel. He also spoke to the Tagesschau and information.dk on arms deliveries to northern Iraq, and appeared on the BBC World Service programme Newsday (from 6.00 onwards).
- Jaïr van der Lijn was quoted in a Kristeligt Dagblad article on Russia and the conflict in Ukraine, and spoke to Dutch Radio 1 about similar issues.
- Sam Perlo-Freeman, Aude Fleurant and Siemon Wezeman were interviewed by Deutsche Welle on the defence buildup in South East Asia.
- Mark Bromley and Oliver Bräuner were quoted in a Washington Post blog post on the challenges of arming Iraq's Kurds.
- SIPRI Director Ian Anthony discussed NATO and the conflict in Ukraine in the Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung. He also discussed NATO's strategic air power in the SETimes.
- Sam Perlo-Freeman participated in an extended interview with Deutsche Welle on armed conflicts worldwide (also translated into Spanish).
- Xenia Avezov was quoted in a Deutsche Welle piece on Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17.
- Shannon Kile spoke to Swedish Radio about nuclear testing.
- Tariq Rauf was quoted in a National Journal article on the proposed WMD-free zone in the Middle East.
- Siemon Wezeman was quoted in a Financial Times (paywalled) article on arms exports to Russia, and in a CNN piece on the arms embargo against Russia.
- An op-ed by Oliver Bräuner on China's non-interference policy was published in The Diplomat.