Position at SIPRI: Director
Subject expertise: poverty analysis, labour economics in developing countries, household survey data analysis, economics of conflict and war, post-war reconstruction, economic security, and anti-terrorism policy
Regional expertise: Angola, Colombia, Germany, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Mozambique, Nicaragua, Rwanda, Syria, Uganda, Ukraine
Languages: English, German
Education: DPhil in Economics, University of Oxford, UK
Contact: Phone: +46-8-655 9 751
(Senior Management Assistant and Special Assistant to the Director and the Chairman, Cynthia Loo, Email)
- Professor of Development Economics, Humboldt-University of Berlin, since October 2009
- Head of the Department of Development and Security, German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin), since June 2003
- Berlin Graduate School of Social Sciences, Member of the Faculty
- Household in Conflict Network (HiCN), Co-Director
- Institute of Social Sciences (ICS), Lisbon, Portugal, Visiting Researcher
- Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), Bonn, Research Fellow
- Global Young Academy, Founding Fellow
- Brück, T. and de Groot, O., 'The economic impact of violent conflict: introduction', Defence and Peace Economics, forthcoming.
- Brück, T., Naudé, W. and Verwimp, P., 'Business under fire: entrepreneurship and violent conflict in developing countries', Journal of Conflict Resolution, forthcoming.
- Bozzoli, C., Brück, T. and Wald, N., 'Self-employment and conflict in Colombia', Journal of Conflict Resolution, forthcoming.
- Brück, T. and Xu, G., 'Who gives aid to whom and when? Aid accelerations, shocks and policies', European Journal of Political Economy, vol. 28, no. 4 (2012), pp. 593–606.
- T. Brück and H. Lehmann eds, In the Grip of Transition: Economic and Social Consequences of Restructuring in Russia and Ukraine (Palgrave Macmillan: Houndmills, Basingstoke, 2012).
- Brück, T., de Groot, O. and Schneider, F., 'The economic costs of the German participation in the Afghanistan war', Journal of Peace Research, vol. 48, no. 6 (2011), pp. 793–805.
- Bozzoli, C., Brück, T. and Muhumuza, T., 'Does war influence individual expectations?', Economics Letters, vol. 113, no. 3 (2011), pp. 288–91.
- Brück, T., Llussá, F. and Tavares, J., 'Entrepreneurship: the role of extreme events', European Journal of Political Economy, vol. 27, no. S1 (2011), pp. 78–88.
- Brück, T. and Schneider, F., 'Terror and human insecurity: editorial introduction', European Journal of Political Economy, vol. 27, no. S1 (2011), pp. S1–S4.
- Baskaran, T., Blöchl, F., Brück, T. and Theis, F. J., 'The Heckscher–Ohlin model and the network structure of international trade', International Review of Economics and Finance, vol. 20, no. 2 (2011), pp. 135–45.
- Brück, T., Naudé, W. and Verwimp, P., 'Small business, entrepreneurship and violent conflict in developing countries', Journal of Small Business and Entrepreneurship, vol. 24, no. 2 (2011), pp. 161–78.
- Brück, T., Brzoska, M. and Drakos, K., 'The economics of security: a European perspective', Defence and Peace Economics, vol. 22, no. 2 (2011), pp. 99–104.
- Bozzoli, C., Brück, T. and de Groot, O., 'How many bucks in a bang: on the estimation of the economic costs of conflict', eds M. Garfinkel and S. Skaperdas, Handbook of the Economics of Peace and Security (Oxford University Press: Oxford, 2011).
- Brück, T. and Vothknecht, M., 'Impact of violent conflicts on women’s economic opportunities', eds K. Kuehnast, C. de Jonge Oudraat and H. Hernes, Women and War: Power and Protection in the 21st Century (United States Institute of Peace Press: Washington, DC, 2011), pp. 85–114.
- Bozzoli, C., Brück, T. and Sottsas, S., 'A survey of the global economic costs of conflict', Defence and Peace Economics, vol. 21, no. 2 (2010), pp. 165–76.
- Brück, T., Beaudry, C., Hilgenkamp, H., Karoonuthaisiri, N., Salah–Eldin Mohamed, H. and Weiss, G. A., 'Empowering young scientists', Science, vol. 328 (2 Apr. 2010), p. 17.
- Brück, T. et al., 'Response: the time of young scientists', Science, vol. 329, no. 5992 (6 Aug. 2010), pp. 626–7.
- Brück, T., Danzer, A., Muravyev, A. and Weißhaar, N., 'Poverty during transition: household survey evidence from Ukraine', Journal of Comparative Economics, vol. 38, no. 2 (2010), pp. 123–45.
- Brück, T. and Müller, C., 'Comparing the determinants of concern about terrorism and crime', Global Crime, vol. 11, no. 1 (2010), pp. 1–15.
- Brück, T., Justino, P., Verwimp, P. and Avdeenko, A., 'Identifying conflict and violence in micro–level surveys', HiCN Working Papers no. 79 (2010).